Tuesday, May 24, 2011

"Creative" Meal Monday

For those of you who know me, you know meal planning, getting my monthly groceries at a great price, and only shopping once a month (mostly) is something I take pride in as a wife. This month, I utterly failed. I usually spend between $100-$150 for groceries per month for our house. Some months when there are parties, cookouts, and other events it can get closer to $200, but that is really not usual for us.

I love meal planning, finding great coupons, getting produce at the farmers market instead of the grocery store and finding little ways to save money. However, in May (and it's still not over yet) I did terrible. There seemed to be no plan, I grocery shopped once with coupons, but didn't make a great meal plan list and stick to it. Now it's like every afternoon at work when I think about what I am going to make for dinner at home, I realize I have nothing to make.

Yesterday after work I was exhausted because I worked all day on another draft of the first three chapters of my thesis to give to my graduate committee. I really didn't want to go to the grocery store and knew I had a few odds and ends at home. So, I decided to get creative and this is what I came up with.......

Some sort of Taco/Hash brown Casserole type thingy

I browned a lb of ground beef
Shredded some pepper jack cheese (about a cup)
Peeled and made hash brown style shreds out of three potatoes
Mixed Cajun, chili and red pepper seasoning and salt with a cup of milk (taco seasoning would have been better)

I mixed all of it together and covered with aluminum foil and baked at 350 for 20 minutes
I checked it after 20 minutes and the potatoes were not completely cooked. I covered the top with more cheese and placed the foil back on and baked for another 20 minutes.

Then I crunched some tortilla chips and put them on top and baked for ten more minutes.

I was a little nervous about the flavor and mixture of things - but it seemed like a close match to some homemade Hamburger Helper type stuff. So, I didn't think it could be too bad.

Chris topped it with some salsa we had in the refrigerator and LOVED IT! Creative success!

I steamed some Lima beans on the side because I know Chris loves them.

I hate that I have been slacking so much this month with meal and grocery shopping, but if I hadn't then I wouldn't have gotten creative and discovered something that we may add to our monthly meals!


1 comment:

  1. Love the creative meal Monday :) Sounds like a recipe I might try!

    ReplyDelete