Thursday, May 19, 2011

Thankful Thursday: My Husband

I've decided that in order to keep up the blogging, especially on days when I feel I don't have much to say, I am adopting some themes. Thursday's theme is going to be, "Thankful Thursday".

So for my first Thankful Thursday
Today (and every single day) I am thankful for my wonderful, amazing, thoughtful, handsome husband.
I have known Chris for 7 1/2 years. After our first couple of dates I knew that there were a few things about him that made him a keeper. 1) He went to church. His whole family did. Our beliefs were the same.
2) He loved sports. He was and still is the most athletic and attractive :) person I know.
3) He knew about agriculture too! What a find! Now he wasn't in the FFA but he lived on a farm and that was good enough for me!
4) He had his head screwed on straight and had a plan to finish college. And he's pretty darn smart!
5) He was funny. Really funny and everyone loved to be around him.
6) He didn't sweat the small stuff. And he still doesn't.
7) Every single time I realized again he was actually dating me - I felt like the luckiest girl in the world.

After one of Chris's college basketball games when we dated.

Now some of those amazing characteristics are the same things that I see in myself while others are the complete opposite (the not sweating the small stuff one). But it seems like I almost knew from day one that we would always be together.
Now, we are approaching our one year anniversary in a couple weeks. Nearly 2 years from the day he asked me to marry him and I cannot believe we have been married almost a year.

Seconds after our engagement with our families in Myrtle Beach.
I hear a lot of times that the first year is the hardest. Now, there were a lot of adjustments to be made when living with someone. However, I would never use "hard" to describe our first year of marriage - maybe he would say otherwise. :)
I hope that is a sign of many good years to come.

Now, on to why I am so thankful for him. My husband tells me he loves me every night before bed and kisses me (usually while I am still half zoned out) every morning before he leaves for work. He often helps load or unload the dishes. Sometimes he cooks dinner. He always takes out the trash, washes the car, and eventually puts his clothes in the laundry basket. He is a hard worker. I mean hard. He has put down new floor in our home, on my request. He has refinished furniture, for fun on my request. He has painted rooms, put up hay, built decks and about a million other things. This entire year he has worked to support our family while I finished my master's degree.

Riding scooters in Mexico on our honeymoon, "Dumb and Dumber" style.

The thing it has taken me a while to figure out is that after you get married what LOVE looks like often changes. During our courtship we often found little and big ways to show our affection. We would write letters and mail them to one another, email notes or cards, send flowers, candy and balloons or surprise the other person with a visit or gift. I found myself questioning when many of those things stopped after marriage, "Doesn't my husband love me anymore?" Sure I may get some roses on Valentine's Day or when I remind him that I would like him to buy me flowers but no surprise love notes, spontaneous gifts or displays of affection.


Hiking to Chimney Top in Gatlinburg.
Then I asked myself, "What do I do to ensure that my husband knows that I love him?" Then I answered with cook dinner, wash his clothes, make the bed, make sure the bills are paid on time, clean the house, make our home nice, plan trips, balance our budget, work to finish school and job hunt.
It was then apparent to me that my husband loved me more than I could imagine. We had both just found other ways to show it. I couldn't be more in love or more thankful for the husband the Lord has blessed me with.


So, today for my first Thankful Thursday, I am thankful for my sweet husband, Chris.

No comments:

Post a Comment